Thursday, December 02, 2021

Being an Outsider

 In my last therapy session, she made a good point that I identify very hard with being an outsider. There is definitely some truth to this, and I do know that I really hate feeling like an outsider. Things like moving away and suddenly hearing nothing about what's going on with my friends. Or finding out about a block party where our invitation was lost and feeling left out. Working for a company where I have an influential role, but I don't live in the headquarters city. I hate inside jokes, etc. etc. etc.

So, I'm going to try to spend some time thinking about old stories from my past where I have been the outsider. There have been a lot of them, so I figured I'd just use this old space to hold these old stories as I pull them together. It will be a little chaotic and timeline jumpy, but I agree that this is an important exercise for me to do to figure out where the root of this comes from, so I can figure out how not to be quite so butt-hurt when these kinds of things inevitably happen.

No comments: