Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Smarty Pants

 I was a bright kid with parents who valued education above most things, so I did well in school. I also talk too much, so other kids knew I knew the answers. This wasn't as much an issue in elementary school (though I did generally have more interactions with teachers and other adults than with peers) as in high school. Even in junior high, I was mostly grouped with the other nerdy kids, so I felt like I was part of that group. But moving between 9th and 10th grade meant that I joined a new high school already in progress.

Starting at that new high school was tough. Academic standards were significantly higher than my old school. But within a semester, I was back in the top 5 of my class. There were several comments from kids in my AP and Honors classes that it wasn't fair that I hadn't been there for all of high school, so my prior grades shouldn't have counted in my ranking. I was shunned for coming in and "stealing" a spot. Competitive much? I continued to work hard, befriended other students who moved in after me, and managed to graduate second in the class. I figure I earned it, but being told I hadn't proceeded to solidify my place outside.

No comments: