Sunday, July 30, 2006

Marathon Prep

This weekend starts my concerted 30-week preparation effort for the marathon in February. I've been reading Galloway's Book on Running, and am learning so much about the appropriate way to train for running races. The book was loaned to me by an accomplished runner in my husband's office who runs 20-miles on a weekend for fun when he's not training for anything. He's done more marathons than I can comprehend, so his recommendation that this is the best running book out there carries some weight.

The basic philosophy is around getting enough rest between runs to allow your body to recover sufficiently to prevent injury. And, as a certified slacker, I'm all about a regimen that specifically includes rest. But, it does take a lot of time, so I need to make sure I stay on the plan, if I want to be ready for a specific day in February. So, as part of my training plan, I will be posting each week about my week of running. I hope I don't bore you all to tears, but it's something I need to do to stay on track.

No comments: