Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Today's random ten has a little more variety than last week's, but I still have a lot of music to load into my iTunes land. I'm not sure when I'll get to that -- I have to go all the way from the second floor to the basement to get to the rest of the CDs, and two flights of stairs are apparently difficult for someone doing a triathlon in two weeks.

Forever Yellow Skies by The Cranberries, To The Faithful Departed
Leader of the Laundromat by The Detergents, Dr Demento 25th Anniversity Collection
Los Peces En El Rio by Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas Live
Scum Sweetheart by Audio Adrenaline, Don't Censor Me
Nightlife (Live) by B.B. King, Live At the Apollo
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome by Madeleine Peyroux, Careless Love
Hard Times by Wayne Watson, A Beautiful Place
Crazy Times by Jars of Clay*, Much Afraid
For All You're Worth by Petra, No Doubt
I Am...I Said by Neil Diamond, The Essential Neil Diamond

The one novelty song on the list is a parody of "The Leader of the Pack" from the '60s, which I've blogged about before. This version, even though the laundromateer throws the singer's clothes in front of a garbage truck upon being dumped, did not cause me any tears and sadness. The Christmas song in the group didn't sound Christmassy at all, so it wasn't disjointing. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the transition from B.B. King's strong, deep voice to Madeleine Peyroux's light, sweet one. And I liked the irony of having a song about hard times and crazy times next to each other, when we're living through hard times in a crazy world now.

*Acts I've seen live. I haven't been to many concerts in my life, but if Jars of Clay keeps showing up in the list, I'll keep having asterisks to put in place.

No comments: