Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Songs that Make Me Cry

There are way more books that make me cry than songs (so you can imagine I'm a wreck when I read), but I have been challenged to continue building on the meme started by George. And I cannot back down from a challenge. Just ask that poor guy from college during that truth or dare game.

As I was thinking about which songs make me cry, I realized that there are a lot of them. So, for the sake of brevity, I have only selected songs that have made me cry more than once. Be thankful for that.


"Home Free" by Wayne Watson

This is essentially one of those cathartic songs Mr. Watson wrote after a friend died of cancer. Perhaps because my grandfather was the only person I knew at the time that had died of cancer, I have this song associated with that event. It's not a timing thing since he died in '86 and the song didn't come out until '90, but there you have it. When I hear this song, I grieve for my grandma who's been living without my grandpa all these years. This album was the first tape I ever bought with my own money, too. When the tape got jammed in my player and snapped, I pieced it back together and it still plays to this day (well, at least until the last day I owned a tape player). And wouldn't you know it, the tear was in this song, so it seems weird when I hear it on the radio, and the little tape-blip isn't there.


"Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin

This is one of those classic regret songs -- a warning, really, to the rest of us to not have this happen to you.

I've long since retired and my son's moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind."
He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time.
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu,
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad.
It's been sure nice talking to you."
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me,
He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.


There was some day when I really listened to the words of this song, and I realized my relationship with my Dad was following this path. And while I'm not his son, I still felt like the song was pointing out that I had a choice to not wait until my Dad regretted things, but to do something. I think I can safely say, I have heeded the warning, and have not grown up to be just like my Dad. And we have a pretty good relationship now, too.


"Brave" by Nichole Nordeman

I am small
And I speak when I'm spoken to
But I am willing to risk it all
I say Your name
Just Your name and I'm ready to jump
Even ready to fall...


Reminds me to go out and take risks. It points out to me when I've been too meek (kind of a constant battle for me), and reminds me that I can be bold and go out and do stuff!


"Your Body is a Wonderland" by John Mayer

I know there are lots of people out there that think John Mayer is beyond cheesy. This song is so romantic, though, and it causes me to tear up. It makes me cry if things have been going well between my husband and I because I realize how good I really have it, and it makes me cry when things aren't going so well because I've experienced this and miss it. The most touching line in the whole song is:

I'll never let your head hit the bed
Without my hand behind it


And those of you rolling your eyes -- "you're heartless bastards! Heartless I tell you!" (from an English professor in college when none of us had completed a required reading, and thus didn't raise our hands when he asked who cried in a certain part of the story).


"I Want to Be Just Like You" by Phillips, Craig, and Dean

This is such a touching sentiment. It's basically the writer's prayer to be the best man and father that he can be, because his child learns more from his actions than from anything else -- this overwhelming responsibility to be a good example to his kids, so they grow up right, respectful and loving and as Christ-like as they can strive to be. The chorus pretty much covers it all:

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me



"The Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-Las

I'm a sucker for a sad story. This is the story of a girl who fell for a guy in a motorcycle gang. Her parents made her dump him, and he drove off and crashed his bike and died. Very melodramatic and over the top, and it makes me cry.


"Sometimes Miracles Hide" by Bruce Carroll

Another ballad. I feel like a broken, crying record. This chronicles the struggles of a couple that tried hard to have kids, and then finally got pregnant. Early in their pregnancy, they find out there are problems, and are encouraged to abort. They don't, and they have a daughter that is extremely disabled, but one day she goes to school on the bus, all by herself. Ultimately they realize that their blessing may not have been in the package they expected, but she is a blessing nonetheless.


Next up: Kyle, Amy, and Monica -- you've been tagged to continue this process, and share about the songs that force your emotions to the surface. I'll look forward to your entries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing. Good list. I forgot all about "Cat's in Cradle" which had a similar effect on me.

George said...

Heather--Thanks for keeping the meme alive!

Heather said...

Yay! Monica kept up her end of the deal!