Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sad Music Addendum

As always seems to happen, as soon as something is declared finished, more ideas come to mind. I can't imagine how authors do it -- deciding that something is really finished and ready to go to print must be awfully tough.

After completing my recent assignment, I realized there were some doozies I left off the list. And since I don't have a publisher that prevents me from modifying and adding things, I decided I can add additional songs here.


"Hate Me" by Blue October

I often feel like my husband is struggling in the same kinds of ways as the protagonist in this song. Depression instead of addiction, but very similar struggles. There are times I see this as the only kind of outcome that will keep my life intact. I'm not sure I'd get the kind of mature release that is described in this song, but maybe that's a realization that doesn't come to the leavee until well after the leaver has done their leaving. Depression is a life-sucking monster -- especially when sufferers can't/won't/don't do something about it. We actually had a really good talk recently which might lead to him getting some help, but we'll have to see how that plays out.


"The Dance" by Garth Brooks

I don't listen to a lot of country, but I did attend Texas A&M, so I was exposed to it. Somewhere along the line I decided I liked Garth Brooks, and bought one of his albums. When I met my husband, he also didn't like country, but had purchased one lone album from the genre. And, you guessed it, it was the same one. The only overlapping CD in our collections.

This song is one of those songs about how you can't enjoy the mountains in life without the valleys for comparison.

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance


Touching, how looking back, one might choose to make the same decisions, even knowing how a particular situation or relationship might turn out.


"He" by Jars of Clay

I realized the other night as I left their most recent concert, that I am glad they didn't sing this song. Crying in private in one's home or car is different than crying at a concert with lots of people around. The lyrics to this song are such a poignant look at children who suffer abuse, that I wonder which of the four of the members of the band had the experience that hit so close to home. Especially the line

And they think I fell down, again

just gets me. The picture of kids screaming in whatever ways they feel that they can, and not getting heard is just devastating.


"Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle

This is an overly sentimental song, but melodrama always gets me. If something is "supposed" to make a person cry, you can just about guarantee that will include me. Speaking of crying in public places, people who use this song at their weddings aren't nice. Wedding attendance is one of the few things that motivate me to wear makeup -- and then you want to go make me mess it up?


Sorry I had to create a second post on these kinds of songs, but there were just too many more to leave them out!

No comments: