Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Here is what iTunes served me up this afternoon.

"Don't Be Shy" by Cat Stevens, Footsteps In The Dark
"Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World" by U2, Achtung Baby
"This Is the Life" by Weird Al Yankovic*, Dare To Be Stupid
"Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows" by Jars of Clay*, Never Say Dinosaur
"Armadillo Breakdown" by various bluegrass artists, Country Cooking
"April Come She Will" by Simon & Garfunkel, The Concert In Central Park
"California Girls" by The Beach Boys, The Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
"Callin' Baton Rouge" by Garth Brooks, The Hits
"The Wild West Is Where I Want To Be" by Tom Lehrer, Songs & More Songs
"Shop Around" by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

This was apparently a week for oldies. I didn't even remember I had that Beach Boys album, and Smokey Robinson and Simon & Garfunkel made appearances, as well. Also, my favorite song from my favorite album took its turn on the random ten. Never Say Dinosaur is one of those tribute albums where different artists take a song from the original group and cover it. This album is a tribute to Petra, the Christian rock band that defined Christian rock bands, and there is not a slacker track on the thing. This song by JoC, a favorite from whom I have so many albums from that it would be silly for them not to show up every week, was one I never remembered from Petra. However, the words are phenomenal, about churches that put up the blinders about the world outside their walls, refusing to acknowledge the pain of people and being that much poorer for the ignorance.

* Acts I've seen live.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Simon & Garfunkel came up in mine too.

revjustin said...

I used to listen to old Tom Lehrer LP's with my friends in junior high. I don't remember much except for thinking that 70's political humor was still pretty funny even in the 80's. No wonder I have such odd political opinions.

revjustin said...

I forgot to mention my vote for Best Christian Rock Group Ever - Pedro the Lion (and I am indeed being serious).

I'll bet you'd never think I would weigh in on that category, did you?

This band has had about 10 different line-ups with their frontman always staying the same. I used to go check them out in Seattle all the time and it took me about a year to realize that they were a "Christian" band. I am not sure if that is really a good thing or not, but I think it took me a while to come around on that one because while their material deals with Christian subject matter, it is a take us non-Christians don't usually get exposure to.

Heather said...

Wow -- weighing in on the Christian Rock Band world? What are we coming to?

For the record, I didn't say Petra was the best Christian band, just that they defined Christian rock as a genre. Big difference.

And I'll have to go look up Pedro the Lio!