Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday Random Ten

My next concert on the HIAHS tour is "Weird Al" Yankovic. I saw him at Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, and DUDE that guy is hyperactive. It was a great show, complete with massive numbers of costume changes and visual effects galore. While this doesn't give you the best idea of what a concert might be like, it's one of my favorite parodies of his. The video he put together is better, but embedding of that isn't allowed from the YouTube site.



Here's whatPandora did to me when I asked for a Weird Al station.

"Another One Rides The Bus" by "Weird Al" Yankovic* on Dr. Demento's 30th Anniversary Collection: Dementia 2000
"Kickapoo" by Tenacious D on The Pick of Destiny
"It's A Long Way To The Top" by School of Rock on School of Rock: Music From and Inspired By the Motion Picture
"Almost" by Bowling For Soup on A Hangover You Don't Deserve
"You Make Me" by "Weird Al" Yankovic* on Even Worse
"Almost" by Bowling For Soup on A Hangover You Don't Deserve
"Kyle Quit" by Tenacious D on Tenacious D
"It's A Long Way To The Top" by School of Rock on School of Rock: Music From and Inspired By the Motion Picture
"Summer '68" by Pink Floyd on Atom Heart Mother
"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies on Stunt

This is hideous. Really, really hideous. Not only do I only have 6 groups reflected in a 10-song space, I only have 8 songs! What kind of a station would I want to listen to that repeats the same song in a 10-minute period? Also, Pandora is clearly focused on the musical sound, and not on the lyrical content when it's looking for themes. I guess that's valuable, but I've always been drawn more to lyrics than the music. As such, I found this pile of music generally offensive and not what I was interested in hearing, even though I paid good money to go see Weird Al. I get that Weird Al parodies a lot of rock songs, but I just wouldn't put him in a rock category.

* Acts I've seen live

No comments: