Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tiptoe Through The Tulips: Echeveria setosa (Hens and Chicks)

This groundcover exists in several places throughout the yard.

It's fuzzy and has these clumps of reddish-orange flowers. The flower stems are about 6-8 inches long, but the flowers are quite small. I had asked my mom when I last visited her if she knew what that was, and she said it looked like Chicken and Hen, but it turns out she had the name backward.


This is a closeup of some of the flowers. Echeveria setosa is a succulent, so I don't have to water it a lot -- just a bit if it starts to get really warm. It's really nice that this plant flowers for a long time -- just adds to the general appeal of the latest entry in the HIAHS yard.

The primary distinguishing feature I've noticed on this plant is that the leaves are all fuzzy, like it's trying to be your favorite stuffed animal plant. Most of the other succulents in the yard have smooth, almost plastic-like leaves.

No comments: