Sunday, January 08, 2006

Epiphanies

Today is Epiphany Sunday. In the church calendar, it's the day we celebrate the magi coming to visit the baby Jesus and present Him with gifts. But the word "epiphany" has another, completely nonreligious meaning. I thought it might be nice to recap some of the epiphanies I can remember having over my, albeit short so far, lifetime.

Anything I can come up with has been thought of before.

Racism is not a one-way thing.

Marriage is hard.

No one is lovable all the time.

My parents did the best they knew how with the tools they'd developed in their lives.

When I tell myself that I won't let something affect me, it invariably does.

I guess I've learned some stuff in life, but just not as much as I probably should have. These represent those biggest "aha" moments in my life. What kinds of things have you realized?

3 comments:

Monica said...

I also had similar (somewhat disappointing) "aha" moment realizing that I most likely wouldn't have a single thought that hadn't been thought by someone else before at some point in history.

I also came to the realization that I probably wouldn't ever set my foot down where no one else had ever stepped, and that the number of people who had ever lived and died greatly outnumbers the number of people currently alive.

There was also a moment when I discovered that I would be just fine if I never found that "special someone" to spend the rest of my life with. I was OK with myself as is - a complete and functioning person who didn't need another person as a crutch. (Shortly after that I met my husband.)

Heather said...

There was something comforting to me about not having original thoughts. It had something to do with removing some level of imaginary pressure for me. Meanwhile, I still value the first time I come up with something. I love having ideas, and now I assume someone has probably already marketed said idea, or wrote said book, and I can enjoy it more for knowing I reached those conclusions on my own.

Aaron said...

I’ve also had those epiphanies when contemplating the immensity of the number of humans that have been on the earth before us. While reading "I and Thou" by Martin Buber I was experiencing what might be called epiphanies when realizing how individual each person is and considering how another person experiences my presence just I am experiencing theirs. I would be walking in the store and all of a sudden I would look at a person and realize that the world is also being taken in and experienced wholly from their view. Another epiphany is the realization that if I was born in another culture, all that I believe would be turned upside down.