Saturday, August 05, 2006

Marathon Training: Week 2

Week 1 was pretty non-anything, so I didn't bother to write about it. I walked a lot, since I hadn't run in quite some time. Now, I've just finished Week 2 of the training program, and I feel pretty good about it. Galloway's method suggests short runs through the week, and one long run on the weekend. The long run increases over the weeks, until you have completed marathon distance two weeks before the actual race. He also stresses the need for rest, whether through days off, or through shorter distances when you've done longer ones. He tries to teach you about good running form, and about how to avoid injury. I haven't finished reading it, but I am seeing that this book would make a really good reference book or would be a beneficial re-read every year, or so, of running. You just learn more about yourself as you run, and different parts of the book would resonate during later parts of your running career.

I am learning to run aerobically, but it seems really slow most of the time. It seems that most of my previous running experience was way too fast, leading to why I've never much liked running, and always thought it was significantly harder than any other kind of exercise. As a result, my current running speed is about the same speed as walking. Seems kinda pathetic, but I have to build up the capillary systems to support the blood flow that is necessary for long-distance running, and that's not going to happen if I'm forcing my body to run without enough oxygen.

I just came back from my "long" run for week 2 -- 3 miles in a whopping 44 minutes. Overall for the week, I ran just over 11 miles, but the big thing was the form workout on Wednesday. Did you know there is a specific technique to running properly? I jest a bit, but I think I always assumed each person would settle into what was comfortable and correct for them and their body. Not sure why I thought that, since it's never been true for gymnastics or swimming or anything else I've ever done physically. But running seems so natural, and people have been doing it for so long, that it just seemed innate. Apparently, not for me. I was running leaning way too far back, putting an inordinate amount of strain on my quadriceps to carry me through. Instead, I am working on improving the amount of bounce off my ankles, which makes running feel almost uplifting and fun. It will take some time, because my calves aren't strong enough yet, but this could be a big boon to my overall running enjoyment.

No comments: